Written by: Emily Blair, Director of Operations
I wanted to take a moment to share some events that are taking place in or near the Chicago area in honor of NEDAwareness week.
1. Consider getting a group together to go see a movie that discusses the realities of struggling with an eating disorder.
“All of Me” Movie Screening
2. Attend a night filled with discussion on leaning into our authentic selves.
Free Community Event to Celebrate National Eating Disorders Awareness Week – This is ME!
3. Take action steps to further your own recovery journey by attending an EDA group.
EDA – Eating Disorders Anonymous Drop-In Group
*This event was not specifically created for NEDAwareness week. I added this option for those looking to join an EDA group. It occurs every Wednesday at The Awakening Center.
4. Connect with your mind and body at a yoga or meditation class.
Centered Studios (off the Morse stop on the red line) offers a great selection of yoga classes, as well as a two-hour meditation on Friday evenings. Consider getting a group of friends together to go to a class. Here’s a link to their schedule.
You may be saying, “But wait! I’m not in the Chicago area.” No worries. Here are some other ways to take action during NEDAwareness week.
5. Set aside some time to meditate during the week
NEDAwareness Week Guided Meditation with Dr. Jenny Copeland, Facebook Live event
6. Consider enrolling in a course to improve your relationship with your body.
Click here to see various online courses on making peace with food and your body offered by Christy Harrison, MPH, RD CDN.
7. Start reading Megan Crabbe’s body positive book on making peace with your body.
Click here to order the book on amazon.
8. Put up post-its on your bathroom mirror with body-positive quotes.
Here’s a list of some quotes to get you started.
9. Watch the documentary “Embrace” with some friends, which follows Taryn Brumfitt’s journey as she seeks to make peace with her body.
You can order the film here. The documentary is also available on Netflix!
10. Finally, follow our contributing writers on Instagram. They’ll be sure to fill your feed with inspirational and body positive messages.